Skip to main content

T1 Diabetic in surgery room


It is time, Tuesday 11 am, I am just in front of the admission guy getting ready to be admitted  for a  knee surgery after 9 months of continuous pain because of meniscus disc tear in my right knee. Nurse is preparing me for the one clock pm surgery and a little conversation started between us .
Me: I am a T1 diabetic and I definitely do not want any glucose, lactose, fructose to be given to me while I am asleep in operation.
Nurse: Sir; Doctor will decide that but I believe it is a protocol and it cannot be changed unless Dr. Said so; not you.
Me: No; it can be changed and I already agreed with surgeon to get non lactated saline solution only if required – it is just a 30 mins surgery and I insist. She called the nursing supervisor who came and started to argue with me and then he noticed the insulin pump and asked what this?
Me: insulin pump
Nurse: Insulin pump!!!
Yes insulin pump
What kind of insulin you use in it?
Me: Novorapid.
Nurse: (assertively):
So I think you will have to wear it off during surgery.
Me:
Nooooo -  I do not have to -  it is only giving me basal insulin______
Room was suddenly filled with 4 nurses listening to this crazy guy talking about basal insulin and pump.
Nurse:
Even basal insulin only – you will have to take it off sir.
Me: No I will not. Because it is my basal insulin instrument.
Another Nurse: What is basal insulin.
Me: It is the insulin that keep my body working - it is required to facilitate inlet of glucose to cells that needs energy - another word to  match the work of Glucose secreted by my liver to serve all involuntarily movement’s energy requirement inside body like digestion, breathing, kidney filtration.
Another Nurse: Sir you are so inclined in medical information, How do you know all this?
Well I am an educated T1 diabetic who learn and take care very well of my version of Diabetes and here is my book about Diabetes (always carrying some copies).
All went well and now time for anesthesia to be injected; at the same time Nurse was  measuring  my blood sugar and it was 91 and she conveyed that to my surgeon who  was shocked and said that is Hypo or going to be Hypo soon and you are advised to eat some sweet to raise up your BS before we start  - it is accepted  to be 180!!!
What!!! 180  - 180 my ASSSSS.!!
A lot of arguments - they fed up with me and finally called hospital endo; who said the same thing  but I kept on talking and managed to convince him that my basal insulin is well adjusted and the enlite sensor is on and it will cut the basal immediately if any hypo happened and that I am fasting so the sensor reading will be very close to BS reading plus there is no bolus to cause any possible hypo and that I had no HYPO incidents since long time because I am in LC diet and I am following the law of small numbers of Dr. Richard Bernstein which minimized the chance of Hypo occurrence, etc…

Endo said: Fine, looks like he knows what he is saying and practicing very well. IT IS OK for me – “talking to the surgeon” you can go head and start the procedure.
Finished the 50 mins Arthroscope peacefully with no glucose taken (only non-lactated Saline as I requested), pump on, no hypos. everyone was happy and content.

The whole day after surgery I was talking about diabetes management with nursing staff who were really eager to learn and I was also happy having the chance to spread the word again and again.
T1 diabetic planning to have a surgery- watch yourself. 
It is a huge challenge for those taking diabetes for granted and don't learn!!
Take care.

Comments

Rawya said…
Wow..!!! I think they want to mess with the wrong person....Hats off to you 😊

Popular posts from this blog

أنا بأعمل إيه...

أنا بأعمل إيه!!؟؟ ناس كتير بتسألني بتضبط سكرك ازاي تحت ال 100 دايما .. اوك أقولكم بإختصار أنا بأعمل ايه: أنا ﻻ آكل أرز او خبز أو مكرونة أو بطاطس أو بقوليات او فاكهة او عصائر طبيعية او غير طبيعية اﻻ نصف ثمرة فاكهة في بعض الايام .. أنا ﻻ أحس بأي أهمية للخبز و النشويات مطلقا اﻻ انها اطعمة ادمانية و رافعة لسكر الدم بجنون..  أنا آكل 30 جم كربس بوميا من الخضار و آكل حوالي 70 جم بروتين و دهون جيدة كثيرة و فقط عندما فعلت هذا ضبط كولسترولي جدا.. أنا آكل زبد و سمن و كريمة طبيعية. انا ﻻ استعمل  من الزيوت اﻻ زيت جوز الهند و زيت الزيتون و ﻻ استعمل الزيوت المهدرجة او الدهون المتحولة .. انا استخدم سكر طبيعي مثل الزيلتول و الاريثريتول  و الستيفيا. انا اصنع البدائل و زوجتي تتفنن في صنعها. بيتنا كله يأكل كربوهيدرات  قليلة ﻹيماننا بأن هذا هو اﻷكﻻ الصحي. أنا استخدمت الانسولين المخلوط لمدة سنة و كان من المستحيل ضبط السكر به.. فمنعته تماما و بدأت في استخدام السريع  مع  الاكل  و القاعدي مرتين يوميا.. أنا اعرف كل معامﻻتي جيدا.. معامل الكربس و اﻷنسولين المتبقي و معامل التصحيح.. انا امارس رياضة يوم

الكوكرا يا شلام... دي شوكلاتة السمك

  إحدى ليالي صيف الأسكندرية الجميل في الثالثة و النصف صباحاً ، أجلس أنا الصبي ذو الأثنا عشرعاماً بجانب نافذة صالون بيت أبي رحمه الله على الشارع الرئيسي مرهفا السمع و منتظرا خالي الحبيب على أحر من الجمر لنبدأ معاً مغامرة جديدة من مغامراتنا التي لا تُنسى - بيب بيب بيب بيب كركر كركر كركر...صوت كلاكس و كركرة اعرفهما جيداً و أحبهما بل و أعشقهما ، صوت كلاكس و كركرة سيارة خالي الحبيب ، سيارته الفيات 125 البولندي البيضاء االتي كان يصفها لي بالعامية المصرية " ما يغركش شكلها كده يا حمادة ، دي عربيةعضمها ناشف!!". أسمع الكلاكس قبل أن تقترب السيارة من بيتنا بمئات الأمتار. انا كعادتي أيام الصيد خاصة مع خالي، لا أنام الليلة التي قبلها تشوقا للصيد وحبا في صحبتي مع أعز الناس (خالي صلاح) ، و بالطبع أكون جاهزا بعدتي (عدة الصيد) وفي حالة انتظار و لهفة وشوق لفجر يوم الصيد - صوت الكركرة يعلو ويصل خالي أمام بيتي وأنزل أنا جريا متلهفًا لتبدأ رحلتنا معاً ، هذه الرحلة التي تكررت طوال مرحلة صباي وشبابي وصقلت خبرتي في الحياة إبتداءا من سن إثنا عشر سنة إلى سن الشباب، أركب السيارة ثم مباشرة أفتح

المؤشر الجلايسيمي و الحمل الجلايسيمي

المؤشر الجلايسيمي (م ج) و الحمل الجلايسيمي ح ج م ج: هو سرعة رفع طعام ما لسكر الدم مقارنة بالسكر الأبيض أو توست أبيض ح ج: هو أثر طعام ما في سرعة رفع سكر الدم معتمدا علي م ج و عدد جرامات الكربوهيدرات فيه يقول العلماء أن فكرة الحمل الجلايسيمي تقوم علي أن الكمية الصغيرة من الطعام العالي م ج   لها نفس تأثير الكمية الكبيرة من الطعام قليل م ج من حيث سرعة التحول إلي جلوكوز في الدم و يالتالي رفع سكر الدم فمثلا إذا كان طعام ما   م ج   له 100 و به 10 جم كربوهيدرات ، إذن   يكون ح ج 10 في حين لو أن هناك طعام آخر م ج 10 و به 100 جم كربوهيدرات فإن ح ج له يكون 10 أيضا أي أنك إذا أكلت طعام عالي المؤشر الجلايسيمي بكمية صغيرة سيكون الحمل الجلايسيمي للمأكول قليلا و إذا أكلت طعاما ما   م ج   له قليلاً و لكن بكمية كبيرة فسيكون ح ج   له عاليا ح ج 20 أو أكثر يُعد عاليا من 11 إلي 19 يُعد متوسطاً أقل من 10 يعد قليلاً   الفكرة الرئيسية تتلخص في أن هناك أطعمة عالية م ج و لكنها قليلة ح ج لأنها تؤكل بكميات بسيطة جدا مثل السكر مثلا أو الجزر و قد تكون هناك